Saturday 2 May 2009

EVENT: The Day of Reckoning

So the day of the event roles round, and I wake up a little late and have to get a lift with Reuben, Ved and Will. (The extra weight in the car makes the mud flaps grind on the road…very embarrassing)

At the beginning of the day I was feeling quite mellow and in some twisted way, looking forward to the prospect of talking to people near my age group about a common interest.

When we heard that the students were arriving it was action stations so to speak and I had a peak out the window to see if they were the hoodie wearing tracksuit bottom apparelled chavs I thought they’d be. To my surprise and relief they weren’t.

We started the day with an ice breaking game, which separated them into teams. The game was a well-conceived idea, however, the students were quick to discard the rules and form their own teams. We ended up with two reasonably evenly sized teams so it wasn’t a complete disaster.
After the groups had separated and we had our first group in the gatehouse, I began by introducing the Charlie Brooker clip. I had a couple of nerve pangs at the very beginning but soon slipped into a more comfortable chatty style of delivery.

Jake, Balve and Ved all talked about their topics as did I and there were a couple of genuine questions regarding how to get work experience and what it was like working in the various work experience locations. The second group seemed a little less enthused but did ask a couple of questions at the end.

The tour was a bit of a disaster and the CRB girls (Sian and Gemma) had to take over to some
degree to keep us on track.

All in all, I thought the day seemed to go really well in the gatehouse. If I were to change anything, I would have made more notes regarding what I was going to say and put more time aside for my edit about ‘The Mill’. I thought the students from the college were really cool about the whole day. Not to say that I was expecting a bunch of children. I was just happy that the seemed to be taking in what we were saying and enjoyed hearing about our experiences of work experience.

No comments: