Tuesday 19 May 2009

EVENT/CAREER DEVELOPMENT

So during this module, we have been looking at networking and subsequently job hunting and interviews. We were lucky enough to have a mock interview with BBC producer extraordinaire (he saved Top Gear) Andy Batten Foster.

We were provided with two job profiles for junior positions in media. One was for a runner on Mastermind and the other, a junior researcher for Newsround. We had to choose one and then prepare ourselves for the mock interview.

We were advised to watch the programs that the jobs worked on and seems as I had chosen the junior researcher position, I decided to watch Newsround for the first time in about eight years. It was extremely fortunate that I did the next day during the mock interview, we were bombarded with questions not only relating to current affairs but also to do with the programs format, design and its cover of special topics. (In this instance, dealing with death at a young age)

The interview was extremely useful, we got some great advice from Andy such as be prepared to do any job to get into the industry and the importance of researching the company's product that you are applying to work on. I know that quite a few people in the group were embarrassed because they had not researched the program.

I was certainly humbled as I had stated in my mock application that I thought I was ready to move up a level from runner. I realise that in today's climate were people want to hang onto their jobs and few opportunities arise in media that I must be wiling to grit my teeth and bare remedial jobs and coffee and tea making if it means that I get a shot at a job that I really want to do.

No comments: