Thursday 21 May 2009

EVENT/CAREER DEVELOPMENT: Work Experience

Part of this module has involved us sourcing work experience. Through my dad I was able to obtain six days at ITV in the vision control department. I also managed to get in contact with one of my friends who works for a visual effects company. (her department won a BAFTA the other night.)

I have also spent two days providing voiceover for a company in Bath called Talking Issues, they turn documentations in to audio books and podcasts. I had to provide the voices for Australian, English, Americana and Middle eastern business men.

I helped produce The Bath Film Office short film for the event with Ved and Lance. And I also assisted my lecturer Leslie at a casting call outside of University.

I’ll first talk about my time at ITV. I have visited the London Studios many times. Each time I visit I am excited by something new, this time was no different. I was previously unaware when I arrived on my first day that the job ‘vision controller’ existed. I assumed that vision control was a responsibility of the vision mixing. Sorry, for those of you who don’t know…


(source tv technical operations)

From the minute I saw the job in action I was hooked. I loved the fact that the job required a mixture of technical and creative ability. Previously, my faith in British studio based television had been wavering. Those six days at ITV made me realise that I shouldn’t focus as much on content and that I should remember the skill and knowledge of the people working behind the scenes. The shadowing also reignited a flame so to speak regarding my passion for media. Intensely studying a subject can draw the life out of it, and that’s no ones fault. Working at ITV made me think that maybe the studio environment (especially the gallery) could be for me.


I was also lucky enough to visit The Mill in London. This place was AMAZING! When I arrived, the first thing I saw was the Oscar they won for visual effects on Gladiator (2000)
I met with my friend Jenna and she took me round the facilities. It was the kind of place that showed how much money there was in media. The furniture and décor in the lobby wouldn’t look out of place in a five star hotel and while I was waiting for Jenna to come from her meeting, I was offered a drink no less than five times. (I eventually caved in and had an orange juice) Jenna took me round each department such as 2D and 3D art, board rooms and editing suites. I was more than impressed I spoke to a couple of the artists and discussed the hardest things to animate, the answer was either water, vapour of some description and hair. They were working on a Dr Who (I’ll say no more) I had an absolutely great day a The Mill and would love to visit again.

I have also completed two days at Talking Issues providing voices. I was quite nervous as this was the first time I have provided professional voice over. It has been fun and I believe I am needed again towards the end of the month.

As I mentioned before, I helped produce the Bath Film Office film with Ved and Lance. Check it out a couple of posts below.

Finally I was a cameraman for Leslie during a casting call for performing arts students. It was a fun day as I was also invited to give creative feedback regarding the performances and how suited each actor would be for the part. This day was good for me as it reconnected me with my theatre routes.

As I am still not 100% sure what I want to do in life, the mixture of work experiences I obtained has been vital for me to help decide my career future.

No comments: