Sunday 24 May 2009

Work Experience: The Bath Film Office

Myself, Ved and Lance met with Maggie Ainley, recently retired from ten years working at The Bath Film Office. We were going to interview her and turn the footage into a short film for our event which we put on for students from City of Bath College.

I played the role of interviewer, Ved directed and Lance was on the camera. The shoot lasted about an hour and we asked a range of questions regarding what Maggie did at the film office and what the film office is in place for.



'Vanity Fair' Great Pulteney Street

I enjoyed the interviewing process, it gave me a chance to speak to Maggie one on one and ask some questions that people viewing the interview would not have been able to ask. I felt that we connected quite well and she said that I made her feel comfortable during the process. Journalism isn't really something I've thought about as a career as the writing side of it doesn't appeal to me.

Meeting Maggie was great, she's a lovely woman and has a wealth of knowledge relating to filming in public locations and the permission needed for such events. A job at the film office sounds interesting as the deal with hundreds of requests a year for permission to film and information about filming in the area. I probably wouldn't want to work in a film office, I'd want to be the one contacting the film office regarding a production I was making. I can see a job like this could be a great stepping stone into film production. It lends itself to location management and scouting. Also producing to some degree.

After we had finished the interview, Ved edited the piece and it was shown to the students during the event. Check it out here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful blog. Here I observed a person share his work experience when he was working in the bath film office. He discussed the role of interviewer at the short film and shares how he enjoyed the interviewing process. It is very impressive. Thanks for sharing. Along with this article, I would like to share some important facts about the hammerhead sharks habitat which were a group of sharks that form the family sphyrnidae.