Sunday 24 May 2009

Work Experience: The Mill

Ok, that's that bit out the way...

But seriously, The Mill is wicked. Through my wonderful friend Jenna Powell, I was able to spend a day there over Easter having a look around, seeing what they get up to. It completely blew me away. Please check out their showreel, it's disturbingly impressive.

When I walked in, the first thing I was greeted with was an Oscar. (Best visual effects - 'Gladiator' 2000) I was then invited to take a seat by the very polite receptionists and offered a drink. I had an orange juice. The Mill boasted evidence of the kind of money to be made in media. All the furniture and decor in the lobby was amazing and obviously quite expensive. It certainly was not your regular office. It had a much more homely feel to it. There are reasons for this type decor, it often inspires the people working there and provides them with the comforts needed to produce the best work they can. Places like Pixar in California have equally extravagant work spaces to make sure that the the employees are as happy as possible.

Jenna came down from a meeting and we started my private tour round the facilities. We took the lift up to the top floor and went into her domain. Jenna is a visual effects producer, she runs a team of designers and animators (amongst other roles) and makes sure that the work is produced on time and to the highest possible standard. First went to one of the editing suites and had a brief discussion regarding her job.

We then went round the different departments within design and animation. I spoke to a guy who was a concept designer and used free hand and computer programs to draw concept art for programs like Dr Who and Skellig.

I also met 3D animators who were working on various projects from applying facial muscle structures to chimps and rendering giant scorpions. There were a few people putting together an animatic, which allows the team to have a look at a sequence before it is finally realised.

After the tour, Jenna took me aside and I interviewed her regarding what The Mill does and her role within it.

I loved the obvious creative flow that ran through this place. There was nothing cold about The Mill, it was full of creativity and people that were happy and felt privileged to have the jobs they had. I would love to work in an environment like that and feel that way.

I would have liked to have taken a closer look at the advertising side of the facility as advertising is something I'm potentially quite interested in. However, as Jenna worked on the program side of things, she was unable to show me in greater detail what they were up to.

Like The London Studios, I had a great time at The Mill. It's exactly the kind of place I want to work when I leave Uni and it makes me happy to think there are places like that for people that don't want a regular 9-5 office job.

No comments: