Wednesday 20 May 2009

EVENT/CAREER DEVELOPMENT: Early Planning


When the brief was first given to us I must admit I was skeptical. I still feel that the event has not really benefited me in regards to developing skills.

My initial reaction was, 'what does planning an event have to do with trying to get a job in media?' I could see the benefits of improving time management and organisational skills but other than that, I thought it did not have much relevance to the rest of the course.

We started the process by assigning roles and brainstorming ideas for content. We self analysed ourselves and discussed what we would have enjoyed at that age at that kind of event. We decided quite early on that there needed to be some sort of practical aspect during the day so that the students could get involved hands on rather than sitting and listening to someone for a couple of hours.

As the lectures went on and the content of the event started to bulk out, I started to feel slightly more engaged in the idea. I took on the roles of creating blue screen images (which were not used) and to talk to the students about careers in media.

My overall feeling about the event is that I still can't really see how it applies to the rest of the course. I felt it also distracted me from our other module and, on a personal level, made me neglect an assignment for the other module running at the same time.

No comments: